Vegan Banana Chocolate Chip Bread
Vegan Banana Bread
Back to baking after a crazy busy month :) Such a therapeutic way to end the week. Had a bunch of bananas lying around in my kitchen and because of the recent hot summer wave, they’ve ripened almost immediately after a purchase. Got the original recipe from here. Basically doubled the ingredients and tweaked some minor things around. This is what I ended up with:
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cup of white sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup plain almond milk (you can use soymilk as well)
- 2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 4 cups mashed banana, from 8 medium very ripe bananas
- ½ cup canola oil
- 4 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- Walnuts or dark chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly oil a loaf pan and set aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugars, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the soy milk and cider vinegar and let stand for 2 minutes. Add the mashed banana, canola oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract, whisking until well combined. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing until just combined (do not overmix!). Fold in the walnuts/chocolate chips if using and pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for about 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the center emerges clean. Allow the bread to cool on a wire cooling rack for 20 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.