Pumpkin chicken soup
This is one of those 'what's left in the fridge' recipes. I brought some pumpkin during the weekend and haven't been able to use it so decided to make a hearty chicken soup, something comforting for the cold winter days.
These are the ingredients I used:
- 2 cups pumpkin (cut in large chunks)
- 2 Chicken breast (cubed)
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 2-3 stalks celery
- 2 carrots
- 2 cups cauliflower
- 3 minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp dry thyme
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 liters of low sodium chicken broth
- 2 liters water (you can replace with broth to make the soup even more flavourful)
- 2 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a large pot sautéed the mince garlic until brown. Set heat to medium and add in the chicken pieces. Cook for a couple of minutes. Stir in thyme, pepper flakes and mushrooms.
Add in the chicken broth, water and rest of the ingredients. Bring heat to medium high and once it starts boiling turn heat to low and simmer for 30 min approximately. Season to taste!